Friday, July 26, 2013

Email #1/104- July 26, 2013

Hey! Finally I get some time to email because I havent had the chance to have a P-day yet. I was first assigned to a District with 9 other guys, 6 going to Argentina and 4 of us going to Dominican Republic. They were a splendid group of guys and we had so much fun together. My companion is Elder Rincon from Atlanta, Georgia. He is half Dominican so he says he has a lot of family out there in our mission he has yet to meet. He is the first missionary from his family since his parents converted early in their
 marriage. He is a hard worker and an awesome guy! In the district I was first assigned to was Elder Merkley from Sandy, Utah, who sent mom that email telling her of the change. I ended up taking a test to see if I could move up a class because I was in the beginner class, and I was told that I was either going to be placed in the Advanced or Intermediate. I was freaking out a little because if I would have been placed in the Advanced then I would have been sent in like a week and I was thinking of how that would be. Then I got stoked to leave then I got placed in the Intermediate class, which is still fine. But we had to switch districts and zones, but luckily Elder Rincon moved up as welll so we are still companions. But it meant that our P-day was moved from wednesday to friday so I had to wait 3 more days to email you all. I was so frustrated and burned out but it was all good, everything happens for a reason. Guess who is in this new zone! Elder Drury! Who is austin's friend from his mission's little brother. They are a really fun zone and I'm enjoying it.
The food here is kind of sub par. Sometimes I enjoy myself like with that chicken cordon bleu, but other times it is not so good. But I haven't gained any weight since I am working out every night, doing push ups and pull ups.
Umm We study a lot here, which is good, and I really love reading my scriputes and Preach my Gospel all the time because I just feel like I am being fed, feasting on those words of Christ. It is super independent, and I am glad Elder Rincon has the same vision as I do in which he wants to work a lot. One of my favorite scriptures I have found is in the Book of Mormon, Ether 12:26, where he says "Fools mock, but they shall mourn". So basically, haters gonna hate. It is really cool though to read and teach and just practice. Our first "investigator" was a guy named  Josue, who was a teacher here but acting like a Columbian party animal. I was suprised with how much I actually could pick up. It was really cool, and there was one point where I recited the first vision "vi una columna de luz, mas brillante que el sol, directamente arriba de mi cabeza..." and I was thinking to myself that this isnt just Hermano Larry Miller acting like a columbian, but more i am going to be doing this real soon. It was an incredible experience.
Another experience I had was with Hermano Toledo, who was the teacher of the intermediate class. He asked for a volunteer for a demonstration of how to listen to people. He asked me, in spanish, what was most important to me. I explained to him with my limited vocabulary that it is my family. I told him about Cole, who is a blonde little boy who plays piano and really looks up to me. I didnt have time to explain everyone, but I told him the other members and that there is nothing better than that. He then responded, basically repeating what I had said, and I just realized how awesome the family actually is. I realized how much I miss all of my loved ones, family and friends, but that they can wait while I am on the Lord's errand.

Even though I saw you guys like 10 days ago, I feel like it has been months.  It is pretty sad to say, but I am not homesick. I just love you all too much :'D

Oh yeah anyone that wants to send me stuff:
Elder Dallin Blake Murphy
AUG 29 DOM-SANT
 2009 N 900 E Unit 164
Provo, UT 84602

I would really appreciate food like candy and snacks because we eat dinner at 4:40 and I am dying by like 8 so yeah PLEASE

Also Mom, I need some things:
my brown cordoroy pants
my compton shirt
my army shirt
a pair of non-black basketball shorts
my sperry shoes
a lot of food

Thanks to all of you who have written me (cole?) and I laugh at everything.

Connor, don't freak out about visas. It is pretty fun here and if you live near me I can show you how to work out and stuff.
I am not sure what else to write, but its pretty great here. The days are long and I don't talk much, but the Spirit of God is apparent in every way and I cannot wait to see what these next 34 days have in store. And then I'll be in paradise.

OH YEAH on sunday there was a talk from Elder Bednar a few Christmas's ago at the MTC and it was called the "Charachter of Christ" and it was incredible. If any of you or all of you have access to that, it will blow your mind. It talked about turning out the way that Christ does, and not turning in the way that the Natural Man does. Christ turns out to others and helps people as much as He can while ignoring his own needs, while the Natural man is like the Cookie Monster and says stuff like "I want COOKIE NOW!" he actually quoted that and it was funny. I laughed. Haha!

So yeah don't worry too much about me, I am able to write letters any time at night or in the morning that I have free time, and since I get ready quick I have been able to write a lot. It has been super fun getting the DearElders from people.

Tell Dane I say hi, and that I love him! The rest of everyone is cool but he is my twin so we have a connection the rest of you would understand.

Love you all, Keep working hard. Life stinks and the Gospel is our air freshener haha just kidding i just thought that was creative

Dallin


Pic:
The first district. Elders (from left) King (Dallas), Farnsworth (Enterprise Utah), Kunzler (Richfield Utah), Whetton (Strattford AZ), Thornton (Brigham City, Utah), Rincon, Brown (Payson AZ), Stud, Taylor (Layton Utah) and Merkley. Theyre all so funny and stuff its hilarious when we are all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment