Tuesday, July 29, 2014

El Año Más Rápido de Mi Vida- July 16, 2014

So first of all I would like to say sorry for using slang words in my emails, it is kind of hard because for 9 months I have only spoken spanish all day every day so my English hasnt progressed much. It has actually gotten worse! But I will be better. I promise!

But yeah it is pretty unbelievable that I have already been a missionary for a year. I feel really grateful first of all because I have never ever been happier in my life. Secondly, I am really excited to see what in the world the Lord has in store for me as his servant for the next half of the mission. And third, I am really sad because I feel like I havent been the best that I can be. I have given all that I have but I have 1 year as a missionary and I feel like I just started! It is like a big bag of Skittles or a box of Mike and Ikes, you dont want it to end but before you know it, there is like nothing left. I know I have half the time left but I feel weird to think that I am already on the 2nd half. But, what are you going to do? All that I can do is work harder, be even more obedient, and love the people more. 

I have been thinking a lot lately about perfection. What is perfection, how can we get to that point etc.? I always read Matthew 5:48 which is a COMMANDMENT of Jesus Christ saying that we need to be perfect like His Father. I had thought about it for a good amount of time. I realize that we cannot do it alone, it is literally, metaphorically, espiritually, and very impossible. So how do we do it? I love two things that the scriptures have told me. First of all, in Matthew when he talks to the young rich man, he tells him to first keep the commandments. And yeah he does that. There are a lot of people that are very obedient. So what is it that we lack? Then our Lord and Saviour says something really interesting. IF YOU WANT TO BE PERFECT, give all you have to the poor and follow me. He said later that the 2 great commandments are Love the Lord your God with all your heart might mind and strength. How do we do that? KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS. But the 2nd one is a little harder. Love your neighbor as yourself. Moroni10:32 says something similar too. But then I read something that just put everything together. In Doctrine and Covenants 88:125 it says:

 125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charityas with mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.

There it is. If someone has charity AND are obedient, then they will become perfect. Not here, but some day. That was the difference between us and Jesus Christ. OBEDIENCE and CHARITY. I am obedient, or at least I try to be. But, wow, I need to work a lot harder on my charity. 

But this week in church the Polanco Family came once again, and a few other people. We are really working hard with all these people. Pedro Julio couldnt because his whole family has the chickengoya. We worked super hard this week and we are really trying to do everything for this Area so that it keeps moving forward. 

I am really happy with the work and as I said, I am so happy. 

Love you all! 

Elder Murphy

1. This is a plate of Dominican food that I LOVE. Moro, Pollo guisado, ensalada rusa. MMMMM i love it. This is my plate and the plate of this sister missionary. Guess which one is mine 

No comments:

Post a Comment